Should my new overdentures hurt?
Posted by AllSmiles
My dentist told me to expect some pain after getting implant overdentures, but it has been almost a week, and I am still in pain. I paid $36,000 for pain and now feel like I made a mistake. I had no teeth at all, but now I have a mouth full of teeth that hurt. Should I feel like this? Thank you. Les from Fort Wayne, IN
Thank you for your question.
It is normal to feel pain and discomfort after implant overdenture placement.
The implant overdenture process has several phases. Surgically placed dental implants affect your jawbone and gum tissue. Your body’s response to the surgery is inflammation and pain.
Do Implant Overdentures Hurt?
Implant overdenture surgery does not hurt because your implant dentist or oral surgeon numbs your gums and administers sedation to help you relax. What can you expect after surgery?
Implant Overdenture Recovery
Every patient’s case and pain tolerance differs, but in general, your recovery will be progressive.
- Day of oral surgery – As you return home to recover, your pain medication will keep you comfortable. But surgically placed dental implants affect your jawbone and gum tissue. Your body’s response to the surgery is inflammation and pain. And you may experience mild bleeding around the surgical sites.
- Two to three days – After oral surgery, swelling peaks in two to three days. You can place cold packs on your face to minimize the swelling for the first 36 hours. Afterward, apply moist heat for relief. And take pain medication on time as your oral surgeon directed to prevent pain from escalating.
- Four to seven days – Soreness and tenderness will gradually improve.
- One to three weeks – It takes time to adjust to wearing an immediate denture in your mouth. But over the next few weeks, you will adapt to speaking and eating with implant-supported dentures.
- Four to six months – Your implants and jawbone should fuse and heal entirely within this time frame.
When Should You Be Concerned?
If pain, swelling, or bleeding after implant overdenture surgery increase or get worse after the healing timeline, notify your oral surgeon. Also, if you have symptoms that your surgeon did not discuss with you, call the office to ensure
Dr. Thomas J. Goebel, a family dentist in Moline, Illinois, sponsors this post. Dr. Goebel works closely with an oral surgeon or periodontist for implant surgery.